Saints hit by Huntly friendly fire-power

Banchory St Ternan 0, Huntly 4

HUNTLY recorded a 4-0 win over Banchory St Ternan for the second successive pre-season, with an impressive second half-goal spree at Milton Park.

Ritchie Taylor, Huntly's recent signing from Keith, was given a start, while two youngsters, keeper Grant Pennet and Colin Brooks, were to feature for their first team debuts from the bench.

It was the home side who created the most chances in the opening 45 in this their first pre-season match, and the Saints had the ball in the net in the 13th minute but Lee Milne's effort was adjudged offside.

Huntly had a sloppy start to the game, but came close against the run of play in the 29th minute when a cross-come-shot from Alan Stephen was inches over the bar with Graham Ewen at full stretch in the Banchory goal.

With a minute left before the break, Saints should have taken the lead.

Ritchie MacRae did well to pass Dave McGinlay and Simon Scott on the left, and his cut-back was driven low by the impressive Stephen Robertson but held well on the line by Richard Bowman.

Right on half-time Taylor came very close to a debut goal, but his shot from three yards out was amazingly blocked by Ewen.

Over the course of the second forty-five minutes, only Scott Anderson remained on the pitch for the Huntly and the Highland League side's changes made a big difference in their favour.

With just seconds gone in the half, Graham Green found himself through with only Ewen to beat, but the keeper did well to boot the ball off Green and out for a goal-kick. Ewen injured himself in the process, but played on.

A minute later and Huntly took the lead. Levi Stephen's through ball found Ally Reid who had got in behind Ian McWhinnie and fired a great strike beating Ewen at his near post.

Huntly had strong claims for a penalty turned down by referee Duff in 55 minutes when Paul Bain clearly palmed the ball out for a corner inside the box, but the official had been unsighted by a ruck of players and play continued.

On the hour mark, Huntly doubled the lead. After a string of L Stephen corners, Green got in a free header which was powered past Ewen.

Banchory's defence came under increased pressure as Huntly looked to extend the lead.

In 67 minutes, the home defence saw strong claims for offside ignored by the linesman when Lee McGregor's centre was flicked into the path of Stuart Allan, who did look yards offside, only for the youngster to send his shot well over the bar.

Huntly got the third goal their pressure deserved in the 73rd minute. Martin Stewart had drifted wide, and when his cross came in Allan produced an acrobatic overhead kick which found the net over the head of the stunned Ewen.

With five minutes to go, Huntly had the ball in the net again when Alan Shearer hit on the counter-attack, but for a second time in this match the goal was disallowed for offside.

Just a few seconds later Huntly had a fourth goal. A Reid was released down the right and he made an inch-perfect cross for Stewart to head the ball home unmarked at the back post.

Banchory St Ternan: Ewen, MacRae (Graham 45), McWhinnie, Moir, Watson, Bain, Bruce (Campbell 71), Matheson, Robertson, Milne (Gillies 56), Gall (McEwan

62). Unused Sub: Cowie.

Huntly: Bowman (Pennet 75), McGinlay (Shearer 71), Scott (Brooks 75), A Stephen (N Reid 45), Anderson, Gray (Murdo 71), Stainer (Green 45), Guild (A Reid 45), Taylor (Stewart 45), L Stephen (Allan 60), De Barros (McGregor 60).